- “Where digital assets land at the end of the day will be driven in part by regulation both domestic and international, and I expect that regulation will come in this area both directly and indirectly,” Clayton said about bitcoin (BTC, +1.35%).
- The former SEC Chairman stressed he was “speaking as a citizen” during the interview.
- Under Clayton, the SEC cracked down on unregistered and fraudulent initial coin offerings. The commission also refused to approve the application of any bitcoin exchange-traded funds and sued Ripple Labs.
- In March, Clayton took on an advisory role at hedge fund One River Digital Asset Management, the parent company of the newly launched digital asset fund One River Digital.
- Clayton was also named non-executive chairman of Apollo Global Management’s board of directors.